Monday, April 21, 2008

Operator Error

Ok, today's reading workshop did not go well. However, I will take all the blame for this. We are having book fair at our school this week and we had a storm drill today. Sooo, my reading block had two separate interruptions. But, my kids are usually flexible and I think it would have gone fine except, this brilliant teacher justified doing word wall tests during this time by deciding it fit in the daily 5 because it was "word work".

I had a parent volunteer and my assistant pull kids back to give them their tests. This just added chaos to the normally quite working environment. It seemed to just throw the kids off balance and that, in turn, threw me off! I was worried that I would not get everybody's test done and I just was not at my best, to say the least.

What does this mean? Are the word wall tests worth the time and effort put into them? Is there an easier way to differentiate the lists and still not lose my mind? Do I let my 9 or 10 kids who are one week away from completing this year's words to just stop taking tests? (I think I may have answered that question just sitting here) I like having the weekly tests because it seems to motivate parents to work with their child, but I worry that it isn't meaningful. Is it too much like those weekly spelling words that have been proven not to really work?

If anyone reading this has answers to any of the above questions, please let me know! I will continue to reflect on word wall words and weekly tests and will keep you posted on my progress(hopefully I will make progress!)

3 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

I'll tell you, the spelling thing blows my mind. I just don't get the whole point. Anything that I have ever learned to spell has come from my reading it first and then wanting to write it later. I guess I just don't see the point either.
It never transfers from the test to the writer. My own first grader has word wall words every week and now a dictation sentence(s) and every week she gets the words on the test correct and then the dictation sentences incorrect. Duh, it's not transferring! I can't make this happen, I don't think it will happen until she uses it enough which is happening with those kindergarten words that she has been using all year! Writing in context really helps with spelling.

Anonymous said...

I think word walls and word wall tests have taken on lives of their own and the purpose for both is vague. I think it is a comfort thing for teachers to give spelling tests and word wall tests fill that void. We learn to spell by reading and writing lots of books, magazines, newspapers; anywhere there is print that makes sense and has a purpose.

Anonymous said...

I am almost done with student teaching, so I have seen a multitude of grades kindergarten through sixth, and spelling tests never work to help the students learn words. In my current sixth grade placement, students are still writing "dose" for "does" and other insane spelling creations. The answer? I have no idea. I was a big reader and writer as a kid (still am), so I saw words over and over again, but I am still also only a mediocre speller. If you figure it out, please let me know!

P.S. I love teacher blogs and just came upon yours today. Thanks for sharing!