Sunday, February 24, 2008

Taking the Plunge

I have been resisting this step for a while. I started reading other teacher blogs a couple of years ago, but have been too scared to start my own. So what has changed?

I'm not exactly sure. I think it is my realization that I have to "talk" my new thinking. I need to say, or in this case write, about new methods and practices before I put them into action in my classroom. I also realize that other teachers ,and certainly my family, have become bored and tired of me ranting excitedly about readers workshop, Debbie Miller, or Making Meaning.

I attended an awesome workshop last week. (Thank You Debbie Miller) I have become energized again. I want to dive back into the deep end of readers workshop. I had retreated into the shallow end, after a rocky start this fall. You see, I had started doubting myself. I have some "energetic" kids in my class this year. My classroom doesn't always look like the serene learning environment that I picture in my head. I was also beginning to feel guilty about not having weeks' worth of lesson plans done ahead of time. I began to doubt myself. I began to question my methods.

I will give you a little background so that you can understand where I am coming from. I went back to school again 7 years ago to get an elementary teacher's degree after working part time and staying home with my kids. I taught reading recovery for one year at the same school my children attended. This school is very old fashioned. All students read out of a basal reader. This school relies heavily on Accelerated Reader and Accelerated math. I was unhappy with the methods, but needed a job and was lured by the thought of teaching in the same district my kids attended. I did not receive a job offer after my temporary year of teaching reading recovery.

I was contacted by a school district 17 miles from my home that spring. I interviewed and was hired. My new district was very forward in their thinking and methods. I tought 5th grade that first year. I moved to 1st the next and have been teaching 1st grade since then. I love my new school. We adopted Making Meaning this year. We use guided reading and writers workshop. I have dallied with readers workshop in the past 4 years, but have never been fully committed. I am now, by beginning this blog, fully committing myself.

This first entry is plenty long. I think I will stop now and add more later. I haven't given the address to anyone so I am, so far, just talking to myself.

No comments: