Wednesday, May 28, 2008

End of the Year Poetry Slam

Today was our end of the year poetry slam. I will admit, if I hadn't made a commitment to another teacher to do this with her class, I would have skipped it this year. This year seems so hectic and crazy. I am glad I didn't skip it.

Our class had less time to prepare this year than last, but we came through! I love to hear those little voices reading their very own poems over the mic. My kids were beaming when the audience "snapped" for them. I love to see the faces of the parents when the kids begin to read their poems. I think they are shocked that 1st graders could write "real poems". I love that, not one of my students tried to rhyme the words in their poem. I love that each kid gets to take home an anthology of poems created by his/her first grade class. I hope that the kids keep these anthologies for years to come, as a keepsake of their 1st grade year.

I am glad I didn't "skip" this event this year, not because the kids would have missed out on an important learning experience, but because I would have!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I am reminded of how important writing celebrations are. I really feel like I let those slide this year. That'll be one thing I try and bring back next year!