Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Great North American Basket Search

O.K., I had this brilliant idea to color code the baskets that my books are in in my room. So, this weekend I ran a few errands and thought I would pick up some different colored baskets as I am using mostly blue baskets right now. Sounds simple enough doesn't it?

Well, here we are on Wednesday and in the last 5 days I have been to Deals, Dollar Tree, 3 different Dollar Generals, 3 different Family Dollar stores, Walmart, Target, Alco, CVS, and Pamida. These stores were located in 4 different towns. I found exactly 1 purple basket! I think that this was way to much effort for something that is probably not going to effect kids ability to read. I am using some dish pans and some odd haped baskets. If I happen to run across some baskets in the fiture I will switch these out. I will not be spending any more time or effort on baskets!

I think that I sometimes get wrapped up in the little stuff and lose track of the big stuff. I am hereby vowing to focus on the "Big Stuff".

(I did buy new shelves and am anxiousely awaiting their assembly... but I promise not to obsess!)

2 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

Great post! We were reflecting this week on teachers that are still, in April, hung up on scheduling the 90 minute block. Still!!!!!
What have they done all year? Sorry, kids we can't do the research based stuff because I still haven't come up with a workable schedule!
You are so right to notice that it is all about the reading and not so much about the baskets. Sorry that you searched in vain. It's so disappointing.
Sounds like you lived and learned.

Cathy said...

Have you looked at Beth Newingham's website? She teaches in Troy, MI and has labels you can print out to help decode your books...granted, some might be a little high for the primary grades...but there's some great stuff on there!!!