Friday, April 18, 2008

A minute to reflect

My last post stated I should be blogging more often. I didn't quite follow through, but I will attempt again to reflect in writing each day.

I have introduced 4 of the 5 Daily 5 activities. (I'm still waiting for Lois to start that word work; just kidding, I plan to introduce word work next week.) I introduced "read to someone" this week and it seems to be going well. There is a bit more noise, but it is "good noise". I think I only notice this because of how really quiet it has been the last couple of weeks. We seem to work out the partner thing pretty well. The students are only allowed to respond, "yes. thank you," when someone asks them to read. It is really interesting who students choose to read with when they don't have fear of being rejected!

I did notice today in a conference that some students are pointing at each word when reading to a partner. I think they are doing this to help their partner follow along. I am just wondering if this regression is going to hurt anyone. I will be watching and noting how these particular children read with me in group next time.

I continue to be happily surprised at how good they are at choosing "just right" books and how engaged they are in reading. I have decided to add more book shelves to my room. I have been surfing the web and looking at others classrooms and have decided I need even more of my book out. I guess I will be shopping this weekend!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Can you tell me more about the Daily Five??? I am not quite sure exactly what it is...should I? I'm stressing myself out :)

I love the idea of when asking someone to read, they say, "Yes, thank you." I'm going to use that!!!

Thanks for the comment on my blog...it's nice to know there are others out there!