Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Word Wall Woes

I have been reading and thinking and thinking and reading all summer. Unfortunately, I have not been writing as much as I should. One of the things I have been pondering of late is the Word Wall.

When I started to teach 1st grade I was given a list of word wall words separated by quarters. All of 1st grade uses the same list. The list is good. It has frequently used words. I think there are a total of 60 words on the list.

So, in theory, the word wall should be a helpful useful resource in my room. Over the last three years, I have struggled with our wall. The kids that know all the words quickly, know them because they read well. They would know these words with little or no intervention by me. The kids that need these words are overwhelmed by the amount of words. They do not use the wall as a resource.

I introduce the words by first pointing them out in the poems that the class has already learned. I have used homework practice, given weekly tests, individual lists based on each child's known words, word rings, etc. (I'm sure there are more ideas that didn't work so well and I have blocked out of my memory) These ideas have worked to some extent, but still I am feeling that I'm just not quite getting it right.

First, because it is a predetermined list it doesn't feel authentic. I would rather put words that we are authentically using in the classroom on some type of reference for the child. Patti, our literacy coach, suggested a flip chart with different categories. I also thought of combining some ideas I have been gathering and using word books that the kids have made after categorizing individual cards. So, in other words, at the beginning of the year the kids would spend time sorting cards by category. There might be family, colors, school, etc. Each card would have a picture and then the word written on it. After we are done using these cards to sort, I would bind them together. This could be one resource we use. This doesn't address the issue of authenticity.

I would like to use some type of personal word wall for each student. Words that I feel this child needs and is ready to learn could go on their personal word walls. These could be taken from the child's writing or reading. I have thought about using ABC books. I have also thought of using a file folder. The folder could be propped on their tables during writer's workshop. The book could also be read. I still have some thinking to do...

I think I also may generate lists on chart paper with the children. I have done this on the board in the past, but then they are erased. If I used chart paper they could be kept and would be a permanent resource. So, if we are talking about families, we would generate a list of words that may be useful. (Grandma, Grandpa, aunt, uncle, etc...)

Then the question is: Do I not use the big Word Wall? How do I assess "writes common words" for the report card? Is the problem not with the word wall, but with my teaching? If you have ideas or thinking on this subject, please share them with me. I could really use some other's thoughts and experiences.

5 comments:

Clair said...

Since I teach a bit older kids, I use the word wall by adding a word here and there as needed-too many at once is overwhelming. I use it as a reading tool, but more importantly as a tool for my students to make sure that the words are spelled correctly.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you can dictate a whole class assessment a couple of times a month with those words that you have to assess and report out on for the report card.

Sarah Amick said...

I too have had these same thoughts about word wall usage in the first grade! I ended up putting up all the words on the word wall and gave support to all students who needed it. I gave them a 100 most frequently used word list in their workshop folder. The greatest anchor chart that we made was "words we should know how to spell" they generated the list and we placed them on the chart. They ended up being the meager knowledge list from Reading Recovery. Ultimtely though, you have to wonder if placing too much emphasis on spelling will inhibit their writing later! It's a fine line we walk in the first grade because they then will not stretch word but ask you how to spell them all the time. It's a difficult element of the writing process in the first grade.
I hope you find a solution.

Jenny said...

I haven't been in first grade long enough to even fully understand all the implications here. We have 100 words that go up on our word walls in first grade. So far, five of them are up and we're four weeks into school. That pace will obviously have to pick up at some point. But, I'm not sure how to make it meaningful either.

I love the idea of the charts of words. That seems like a really useful reference for them. Plus, it can be a broader reference than just spelling. Those sort of charts could help generate ideas for their writing.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering/thinking about this too.