Wednesday, September 3, 2008

fudgsicles and folders

Let me start by saying, that this post is old. I just haven't found the time to post in quite a while. Two weeks ago teachers at our school visited a large trailer park in our district. We went bearing gifts (thus the name of the post).

About 10 teachers donated supplies (folders, crayons, pencils, glue sticks,notebooks,etc) to fill 150 bags. The trailer park advertised free ice cream and school supplies. It was an awesome evening. We had about 20 teachers, including our wonderful principal, and our school counselor attend the event. We gave away all but 2 of the bags.

We gave these bags to kids of all ages. I loved seeing the little ones open their notebooks and start drawing with their new crayons right there on the picnic tables. I also gave a bag to one of my former 5th grade students. He is a freshman this year!

Every time I attend one of these events I am inspired! I remember the reason I became a teacher and I'm reminded of what strong families these children come from. It is too easy to become judgemental when we don't venture out into the community in which we serve.

No comments: