Saturday, September 13, 2008

One full week down!

We have been in class for 8 full days. (172 to go but, who's counting?) I have a fun and interesting class (read: a class full of challenges). I am so fortunate to have a wonderful assistant in my room all day. She is assigned to one of my students with autism. I am so lucky to have both the student and the para in my room! The student is awesome! I can't wait to get to know him better and learn all the lessons he has to teach me. His para is so helpful and knowledgeable! I am sure I will keep you updated on both of them this year!

We launched Daily 5 this week. We have read to self for three days. On Thursday the class made it to 3 sessions of 5 minutes. My Friday schedule is different and we only squeezed one session in. I LOVE looking out upon a classroom of 1st graders reading around the room.

In my welcome letter this summer I asked each child to bring a Forever Book with them to school. I have to tell you this has been a wonderful beginning to our reading journey! Each day I read one or two of these books. The child shares why the book is a Forever Book. This may include: where they got the book, who reads the book with them, what they like about the book, etc. They are becoming a community of readers. In the library this Friday, I heard at least two students recommend a book they found to another student. In both cases the book was recommended because of something they learned about this child from his/her Forever Book.

"Hey H, did you see this book? I think you would like it because you like books about horses like your Forever Book." (I love it when I try something new and it works!)

I am waiting to get all my computer permission slips turned in. I will then start posting our Forever Books and a quote from each child on why it is a Forever Book on our classroom blog. Yes, I am going to try to blog with the kids this year. It will start by sharing quotes from the kids about their Forever books and shared writing. I hope to also share writing samples and book recommendations. I will experiment as I go. As soon as I get the permission slips and post for the first time, I will add a link to this page.

1 comment:

Sarah Amick said...

I had my students bring in the favorite book activity and I found it generated so many great ideas! I also feel like it gives us all a great sense of community.
I am glad to hear that your year is off to a great start!