Saturday, March 29, 2008

It's all coming together!

My kids are LOVING the daily 5! They are reading so much more than they have in the past. They are choosing between reading to self and writing. I plan to introduce reading with someone and listening to books next week. I am saving word work until after spring break.

I am still trying to sort out the word work portion and what I want it to look like in my room. (hence, I'm putting it off). I'm hoping my teammate will try it first and I will learn from her experiences. (Hint hint Lois, why don't you get busy on this?) We have both jumped into the daily 5 at the same time and it has really been nice to talk about it with someone else.

I spent Friday afternoon looking at Making Meaning and Debbie Miller. I plan to integrate these two components into my mini lessons this week. We are reading non-fiction in Making Meaning and learning about schema (I had already introduced this word earlier in the year and have used it, so my kids should already be familiar with the concept) I plan to use Debbie's lessons on schema and text to self connections along with the making meaning.

I like that you can do more than one mini-lesson a day. I will need one to introduce new procedures or to review how things are going. (until they are completely trained) I can still do a content mini-lesson as well each day.

The daily 5 has changed the way my classroom feels and I am excited to see what next week brings!

2 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

I stumbled across your blog by reading Ruth's! I am excited to see your rebirth since going to the Debbie Miller conference. Loved reading your post about allowing your kids to set up your classroom.
My own facilitator has recommended the Daily 5. Are you enjoying it and learning a lot? It may be something that I need to purchase. Yet another book!

TeacherMom said...

Thank You Sarah,
I have visited your blog also. I, too, found it from ruth's. She probably connects more people than she knows!

I went back to visit your bog again when I saw your comment. I was surprised to read that you taught 5th grade also. That is where I did my first year (after Reading Recovery). I love the first graders, but sometimes miss reading "real" literature with kids.

I LOVE the Daily 5. My class is loving it too. They are really reading so much more now. I love not making centers and having time to confer with the students individually. I think Debbie Miller calls this, "the sense of endless time."

I hope we continue to share ideas