Sunday, March 2, 2008

Weekend reflections

I spent yesterday planning for next week and where to go from here. (I did this while sitting on gym bleachers for 9 hours watching and waiting for the next game to start)

Observations from last week's re dedication to reading workshop:

1. I (I think I will use first initial when referring to a student) was engaged and not flopping on the floor like usual (could this be from giving him the choice of all available books?)

2. J has not made as much progress as I had thought. He could not find 5 just right books even though he was choosing level A books. He must rely on my introductions more than I thought.

3. The kids that are good listeners and direction followers didn't notice that much of a change. I have been following this format timidly all year. I think I learned that if I'm not fully committed my hard to lead kids are never going to follow.

4. I love the idea of not having centers during reading time. I always feel like I am providing "busy work"that doesn't need monitoring. I think I will still have a modified center time a couple of times a week, but I will be out in the class observing and helping.

On Friday we had a two hour delay. I stopped at Walmart and picked up small notebooks and an ice cube container (30 notebooks fit in one container). I started using the new organization system right away. I think I am really going to love it! I took notes on about 7 kids. I did some informal running records and gathered a lot of info. I have always believed that formal running records are useful, but they are also time consuming. I will still use formal running records but I can reach more kids by also doing quick informal ones in between. (I have been doing this on the sly, but now I feel like I can feel confident that this too is valuable info)

No comments: