Sunday, March 16, 2008

My head is full

I've been reading, reading, reading. I received The Daily Five from Inter-Library loan on Wednesday night and then I went to see Carl Anderson speak on Thursday and bought the new edition of Mosaic of Thought. Combine that with another weekend of basketball tourneys and I have read quite a bit.

I love the idea of the daily 5. I have been toying with having the kids read and write only(no centers) during guided reading time all year. This book gives me solid examples of how to go about this in a systematic way.

I wonder if it is too late to use the mini lessons on how to launch this system when we have already been "kind of " doing this all year. I think I am going to go ahead with these minilessons. I will explain to the kids that we need to make our reading time even better. I really like the way "the sisters" explain how to model correct behavior and incorrect behavior.

I am looking forward to trying these methods out this week. I am not looking forward to a week of assessments!

No comments: